Are You Sitting Down?
Are you sitting down?
Is your posture good? Have you been in this position for hours? Is the screen bright enough? Are you squinting at the print?
Please take a few seconds to assess your ergonomic surroundings.
The more attached we are to our computer devices, the more time we spend using them in positions that can cause headaches, backaches, eye strain, sore muscles, and carpal tunnel syndrome, to name a few problems.
Remember when you curled up with that riveting e-book and then strained to un-curl?
Here are a few reminders to stay healthy while computing:
- Take frequent breaks; stretch and walk around for a few minutes
- Be aware of the changing light around you and change with it
- Adjust your chair height, desktop height, keyboard position, and /or monitor angle to create optimum long term comfort
- Adjust the screen magnification (or get magnifying glasses) to ease eye strain
- Prop up your laptop, tablet, or smartphone if you are reading in bed or on the couch
- When not at home, make a footrest or back support out of whatever is available
Stay comfortable, my friends!